I regularly look at the Lux site as it contains a specialist listings calender for moving image artists. I notice they are starting a new course on tuesday evenings in May 2011:
Exploring the Archive – a Guided tour of Artists Moving Image.
http://www.lux.org.uk/news/new-lux-course-exploring-archive-guided-tour-artists-moving-image
I think I may sign up for that. Apart from it being incredibly interesting, it would serve me well for my art practice and the MA.
•
Film London Artists Moving Image - FLAMIN
They have an archive of commissioned pieces, and have secured continued Arts Council funding for the moment.
Even such established organisations employ sites such as YouTube and Vimeo to store and show their archives.
Moving Image in these contexts can encompass many types of screen works - documentaries, historical, short films as well as mainstreem films and TV work. Artists Moving Image is sometimes found as a specific subgenre.
•
The BFI, British Film Insititute, has a databse of Artists Film and Video. Viewings are available by arrangement on their premises, or at one of their mediatheque locations around the country.
Available online, not strictly artists work, but including silent film is InView.
Again, the BFI have a YouTube site, containing some Artists Moving Image amongst everything else.
•
and
are linked. They have extensive listings of moving image and where they are archived on other sites, but many links do not work, or else the actual film cannot be located. I have also asked them one or two questions over time and never had a response. Still included because videos may be tracked down elsewhere, and the sites still have useful and relevant information.
•
The Internet Archive has a collection of opensource videos which include Artists Moving Image with a little searching.
•
The BBC Film Network has a small archive of submitted videos, although their definition of artists moving image is very informed by narrative and more filmic concerns.
•
Tank TV is an online museum of artists' moving image, with online exhibitions and an archive.
•
I will certainly continue this list as I find more Moving Image Archives.
I am always thinking of how to keep my own archive, how to arrange it and keep it available to myself and others. I am considering a major reworking of how I present material.
In 2008 I spent alot of time reworking my archive in The Archive Project, an undocumented series of try-outs and ideas in my practice - really in private.
(Link to item in Professional Context page posted today about application to NewWork Network - Archival Correspondent.)
eleanor blog professional-context archival correspondent
4th April 2011
No comments:
Post a Comment