Friday, 13 May 2011
Ideal Home Show
Further to trade show visits, I went to the Ideal Home show, for various reasons, including consumerist. I don't think I've been to one of these before, but I went, having a free ticket.
I am used to walking round trade shows with an interested, critical eye, figuring out what catches my attention and why. This time, it turned into an exercise and study in presentation - what can be presented visually when just about everything is working against aesthetics. The Earls Court exhibition centre is big and oppressive, horribly lit, and in this, case, poorly laid out. In effect there is very little difference between these events and art fairs or some exhibitions. The stands/products/artworks, need to attract attention, draw people in and persuade them to buy in to or engage with what is being offered, all in the particular environment, its settings and distractions.
It was quite fascinating to be amidst this cacophony, and to see which were thriving or abandoned stands - often nothing to do with the products, but very much to do with the colours chosen, the simple layout, and other more subliminal matters. There is no one-fits-all formula, because sometimes the plainest stands were successful. It's all to do with use, and perhaps cohesion.
I think there are lessons for the artist in these situations - not just to create successful consumerist or commercial stands e.g. at art fairs, although this could be valuable, but about creating effective visual and artistic statements. This is not merely about being attractive - it may well apply to an intended unattractiveness - it is about the first vital seconds of impact in an art work. There is alot of competition, alot of images, alot of fine meaningful artists.
In exhibition there are often less than ideal situations. When setting up, well made plans can fail, and solutions and compromises have to be made quickly.
Even though one tries to anticipate as much as possible, and also idiot-proof a show, weather happens, electricity fails, people let you down. You still have to open up and present work as if it is all meant. As a Moving Image artist, the worst things are of course, not being switched on, or being moved to somewhere with inappropriate lighting. I've experienced those - it is akin to handing over your painting that someone else hangs upside down.
Yet in front of an audience one must be gracious. Perhaps it is my musician background. People may lose the place, drop instruments, play wrong notes, but you always smile and bow to the applause as if it had been the best concert ever. Equally, there are aspects of exhibiting art which are pure and simple presentation. Creating the ideal exhibition in less than ideal conditions.
19th March 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Eleanor MacFarlane
- Thinker of thoughts, mother of adults Shadows Echoes Stories Dyslexia London Scotland Drawing Sewing Research Tutor Mentor Books Trees Clouds Quartz Magnets. I review and write about art and culture.
No comments:
Post a Comment