Friday, 13 May 2011

Form Frame Fracture 5

The time limit of 12 hours is a deadline of sorts. Although working to deadlines is one thing, working to a time limit is another. I am really at about 11 hours, so will resist the temptation to push the project on further at this stage. I do want to wrap it up and produce at least a mock-up of something I could show, something, if not finished, then at least an actualised idea.


material still 1

material still 2

Again, I do not feel I have pushed myself as yet into vastly new areas, I still feel I am revisiting and collating ways of looking I have used before, and yet in wrapping up, and resisting the temptation to go further and further into the moving image, I do feel I have got somewhere that interests me. If I have the time. I would really take this footage over and over, refining what I see more and more until I see everything I want in the lens. And then I would edit over and over, frame by frame, eliminating little and big distractions,distilling the footage into exactly what I want and only what I want to be there.


material still 3

material still 4

What I have so far lacks pace - there is no reason or pulse to the moment. I would find a reason for travel.


material still 5

material still 6

And then further I would consider how to show this. However, as it is so far, I feel I am getting to somewhere. Through the video camera I am some way to showing the fabrics how I want to show them, how I see them, with a particular viewpoint.


material still 7
material still 8

The Frame, is reframing the material in digital video form. Reframing is also used in the psychological term of recontextualising, and also literally by putting something in a frame. I am always thrilled and intrigued by objects, fabrics and unusual substances within frames, encapsulated in glass, turned into something else. Which leads to Form, and rendering one media in terms of another. Art explained in terms of music, music spoken of in terms of nature.


material still 9

material still 10

The Fracture I am thinking of in terms of a fissure, a fracture or sideways glimpse which allows me to see through to the truth, the internal truth I am looking to recognise. It's so important to search, to go over and over, and to match what I imagine with what I see. I am seeking to control or catch the magic, to manipulate the glass and lens and light, and not allow any computer programme to do the manipulating. A subtle facet.


material still 11
material still 12

I know some artists do not always make art that they love. Sometimes they make things they are compelled to in other ways. I absolutely always seek to make the work that I love, and to love the work that I make.


material still 13

material still 14

I have over 30 minutes of footage. It takes ages to compress and upload, so I have put 10 minutes on vimeo. The amount of footage is partly the point, as I would have this play on and on, perhaps in time an hour of edited video.




material still 15


1st May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thinker of thoughts, mother of adults Shadows Echoes Stories Dyslexia London Scotland Drawing Sewing Research Tutor Mentor Books Trees Clouds Quartz Magnets. I review and write about art and culture.

Followers