Friday, 13 May 2011

On Not Knowing


(Visual Enquiries 1 The Reflective Practitioner)


An artist's studio is characterised as a place where a certain type of thinking or process goes on. More than its physical space, it is a repository of thoughts, ideas, archive, material - ordered, rearranged, juxtaposed.
It is an area synonymous with the artist's process, a continuum of cyclic ideas, partly punctuated by the supposed resolution shown in finished works.
Artists bring an element of the unknown into the studio, they seek it in making work and in exploring the areas about the artwork. but they know they employ the unknown.
Elements of art and finished artworks always remain unknown to the artist.

Rebecca Fortnum.

Fortnum R. Introduction to Symposium 29 June 2009 at Kettle’s Yard, ‘On Not Knowing: How Artists Think’. Accessed 14.1.2011.



Reflection

I find the sense of unknowing talked of very accurate in my own process. It is as if the elements collated for the work - the ideas, materials and conception of the piece create or suggest a new unknown aspect or element. It is for me to work through them, mix them and refine them, to create a viable configuration - the artwork. Again, I recognise that I cannot see all the artwork all at once.

30th March 2011





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thinker of thoughts, mother of adults Shadows Echoes Stories Dyslexia London Scotland Drawing Sewing Research Tutor Mentor Books Trees Clouds Quartz Magnets. I review and write about art and culture.

Followers