Friday, 17 June 2011

MA Tutorial report 5


Date:     13th June 2011            Tutor:  Caroline Wright
__________________________________________________________________________________

Reflection on outcomes since last tutorial

We talked over general progress, including the tricky mapping the territory project, even though that is VE. Agreed that getting going was something, and that you can gain alot from difficult things. Talked alot about Breaking Your Boundaries project. I mentioned ideas I’ve thought of, and how I am looking at what I may find most uncomfortable and unfamiliar to be most useful. My least favourite way of working is collaboration – I’ve never been drawn to it, and when I’ve had to do it, eg at art school, I found it diluted my creativity, and I found it annoying and frustrating. So, ripe for this, then.  We agreed it’s not always a good idea to go into an uncomfortable area just because it’s there, but Caroline gave me great suggestion of collaborating in a different way with a different sort of practitioner, perhaps a scientist. Actually, this is right up my street – I’d love to do a residency in a science dept, and once negotiated with Imperial College towards this. Definitely to pursue in due course, if not for this...

Another unattractive way of working for me is something more anonymous, or mail art, or disseminated bits. Again, why/why not. I’d have to think of how to get feedback, etc. Delete for now – it’s too much like something I’d have to do and gain something from by default, rather than a true way forward. New thinking perspectives can be gained, one can learn things, but this is about choice.

I talked of overall aim of MA in getting me up and selling work and starting with this project, having an entirely selling event, getting used to monetising, making things specifically to sell, totally incorporating this in my practice. Various ideas, many ideas, but making it happen, while making things which fit in with the ethos of my practice. Sell editions, etc. Previously I’ve stopped myself a bit from this, as projects and products always end up more elaborate. So this would be more straightforward. 

Suggested I look up collectors collectives, who purchase jointly. Had heard of these but not considered them.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Current projected aims and outcomes

Also discussed current case study Koestler, and how so many issues have arisen from it about that in particular and the art world in general. Caroline mentioned an institution she knows where the patient’s art is submitted to open exhibitions, not special. There is more to this – the ideas of ghettoisation in outsider art, where art is placed, and anonymity in art. Issues to ponder as I think more about Koestler, etc.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Discussion and recommendations

Decide and email Caroline with plan for Breaking your Boundaries in a couple of weeks.
Timetable plans to include feedback.

17th June 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thinker of thoughts, mother of adults Shadows Echoes Stories Dyslexia London Scotland Drawing Sewing Research Tutor Mentor Books Trees Clouds Quartz Magnets. I review and write about art and culture.

Followers