Friday, 8 July 2011

Random

A Visual Response to Case Study Koestler Trust.


My experience of the success of the random Salon type hang at the Koestler Trust has inspired me to allow a little more randomness in my own work. I have shown multiple work before, but there has always been a controlled spontaneity, or a selection of parameters.

I have brewing plans to show moving image a bit differently, more multiply and randomly, allowing the relationships to occur, and relinquishing some control.

Not unedited, not unchosen, but allowing nature, or the computer, to take its course, allowing new associations and disassociations to ocurr and letting imbalances happen. I think it's probably the imbalance which bothers me most about this - a discomfort I am easily able to endure, as I think the benefits are exciting, and I may in future mix things up like this, just to see, just to look and think.

Usually my whole practice is about sorting things out and finding likenesses, editing away anything superfluous. Here, it is a dense field of images - snaps, documents, ideas, family, everything. And yet, like at Koestler with everything jammed floor to ceiling only in order of receipt, patterns emerge and new or familiar thoughts are free to roam.

I have even allowed the computer programme to choose angles and order - for no real reason. Normally this would bother me in work, but as a visual exercise, it's like shaking everything out all over the floor and seeing what turns up.



Random 1



Random 2 





Random 3



Random 4



Random 5  


Random 6


Random 7



Random 8


Random 9


Random 10


8th July 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thinker of thoughts, mother of adults Shadows Echoes Stories Dyslexia London Scotland Drawing Sewing Research Tutor Mentor Books Trees Clouds Quartz Magnets. I review and write about art and culture.

Followers