Date: 19th Mar 2012 Tutor: Caroline Wright
__________________________________________________________________________________
Reflection on outcomes since last tutorial
Discussed current Exploratory Project – cans, material, projection, the museum cabinet. I have decided that exploring and experimenting may be more important than producing finished work at this stage – to me the work feels longer, and fruitful for future projects. Tins cans not really changing so far – I am almost waiting to produce own material, plan to make multiple. Caroline reminded to look at what the tins are saying now, and what the rationale is to making more. She mentioned Yinka Shonibare – I had thought about his work in somehow reframing the material and the imagery I could bring. I hope to bring such a second look to the fabrics. I like the repeatable simplicity of the project as it is, bringing up multiple, perhaps unresolved ambiguities concerning clothing, waistcoats, constriction, corsetry, the vessels element, the value of disposable artistic substance. Analyse and ask questions about the tins now.
________________________________________________________________________________
Current projected aims and outcomes
Moving image projection trials – the real opportunity to build up the repertoire of ideas without deadlines or gallery pragmatic solutions – I have been imagining – I am looking for the dust in the sunshine, the transformation between mediums. Somehow thinking of this work as a commission for a museum like the V&A – a cabinet with an old costume, filming the fabric, and projecting it back onto the cabinet – changing what it is. Caroline mentioned about liberating it. I am thinking of rendering it in a different form, giving the feeling of being seductively unsure.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Discussion and recommendations
Caroline mentioned a live/ held projection event she saw. There are so many possibilities, but not random – planned spontaneity and serendipity. Projecting digitally onto an analogue TV – very fruitful. I hadn’t thought about the analogue/digital aspect before, but like that way of looking at it, and realise that flows into alot of work before with vintage objects. There is more of a rationale emerging about these old and mixing of old and new technologies – I can explain it is a different way now, about the relationship with the past, live memory and the internal.
Reflection
I am looking at artists using fabric and metal – Louise Bourgeois, Cathy de Monchaux, and others. I feel there are certain obvious, almost expected ways for the tins to develop. Apart from the material imagery and the multiplying of tins, I am yet to think of anything to go with that is doable.
19th March 2012
No comments:
Post a Comment