Friday, 27 April 2012

Group crit March 2012 Material Rivet Cans


Current work in progress.

I am exploring various elements in order to distil their essence, make them into workable ideas and a piece of artwork: Material, silky, embroidered, woven, antiquated costume.  Using material in sculptural ways, exploring the feelings of it being in museum cabinets, touching, not touching, dust of memories: Museums as a context and repository of memories we can revisit, in Cabinets and Glass Frames: Metals new and antique – tin cans, detector finds, spreading rust: Moving Image – layering projected video of material onto objects and frames. Researching ideas of the past existing concurrently with the present, therefore blending old and new intertwined.
100 words

Three questions

1. Although using material and references to costume, am I avoiding this being a “textile” project – is it about balancing of the use of fabric with other sculptural materials?

2. Sound. I tend to make work without sound. Big issue but small question. Do you expect sound to come with Moving Image?

3. Do you think using “premade” items such as tin cans directs the audience too much – ie, would it be very different if I used metal and made shapes?

  
Material riveted onto tin cans, then left outside to weather and rust.








I am revisiting these images from Form Frame Fracture MA year 1 to take further:








Using layers through frames (currently unable to show projection as have lent equipment). Although these are different subjects, they show the levels of reflections I intend using, so that my projections are on the surface of the glass, but also show through to behind:



IMG_5701.JPG

IMG_4022.JPG

blank 3.jpg


Link to video footage of Material taken for Form Frame Fracture. I intend to edit and use this footage to project onto frames, objects, materials, and perhaps film that or make an installation.

http://vimeo.com/23148017



Feedback from group critique


Dreamlike, sensual - rude, as if rifling through clothes, lifting up, what is about to be revealed. Uncomfortable. Voyeurism, washes over you.
Kalaedescopic, museological, close up.
Magnification, blurred vision rolling over wave.
Leafing through forest.
Beer goggles.
Sensuous, chinesey, nonwestern, female, colour.
Uncomfortableness, beautifully seductive.
Meeting and coming away.
Hypnotic, exoticism.
Memories, dustiness, present.
Abstract - light ambiguity.
Rusting. Riveting - little people waitcoats.
Old new stuff. Material fusing with metals. aging.
Autonomy of the cans.
embodied.
Aging from the inside.

Reflection


I was delighted that the word and concepts the group used included many of those I hope for this work. There's a tendency not to discuss during process and making, but of course it's so valuable.
I also do enjoy participating in my fellow student's critique, reading art.

27th April 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thinker of thoughts, mother of adults Shadows Echoes Stories Dyslexia London Scotland Drawing Sewing Research Tutor Mentor Books Trees Clouds Quartz Magnets. I review and write about art and culture.

Followers