Date: 23rd
April 2012 Tutor: Angela
Rogers
_________________________________________________________________________________
Reflection on
outcomes since last tutorial
Exploratory Project.
I talked of what I had realised as the project concludes – that although I had
explored several different things, more or less following instinct, I grasped
that they were really all interconnected, and that what I have been exploring
is different ways of expressing my quest to integrate older materials and
images more deeply and consciously in my work. My relationship with older and
very old materials, and also more consciously referring to and integrating my
own personal archive.
Angela said to beware of my tendency to subvert myself.
After amending my initial challenge to create a finished piece of work within
the time, the value has been in the exploration. In order to hang onto what I
have done, she said to record specifically what had happened, to apply specific
questions, to make bullet points of key areas of thinking and process. This
will show a clear sense of interconnectedness between different activities, and
allow people to know what I am thinking. I can apply this review of my own
trajectory regularly.
Conversely, depending on time, I now aim to make a piece of
work, or at least start one that I will later finish, using my old movie photos
in a piece of moving image. I need to find something with this – I’m not aiming
to use old footage in currently popular ways, eg The Clock by Chrisian Marclay.
It’s quite a new area for me not to use my own generated images, but it makes
sense to my internal rules by process of taking them by exposure, and thus
ensuring blur, and aesthetically, in looking for images which signify genres,
types, characters, etc, without identifying them explicitly. Much more later.
________________________________________________________________________________
Current projected aims
and outcomes
Questions to apply – what did I get from the making process
– identify those leaps. Analyse the thought process. What lead me to the next
step.
Also discussed the value of the group crits, and how they
are also better and more valuable this year. I do like that side of art – it’s
where alot of realisation goes on, about own art, and what art is in general.
It helps in reading all art.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Discussion and
recommendations
Art practice is such a continual stream of resolved and
unresolved work – the EP has allowed me to pick up on the importance of the
unresolved, to create more foundations and a wider palette and range of
repertoire for future more resolved exhibition work. There could be a tendency
to produce reams of unresolved ideas and have nothing to show – I hate that
inefficiency! It does go a little against instinct for me to be so explicit
with my though processes. I prefer to talk more obliquely and allow certain
things to remain mysteries and internal. But I can really see the value of
doing this, and in developing a style of more explicitness that works for me.
Include in the EP evaluation this type of analysis of
thought and making process – what I did and why, what worked and what didn’t
and what I had expected, what lead me to each next step.
Reflection
Although I am writing this report, I feel it will take
longer for this tutorial and the whole Exploratory Project to filter through. I
definitely felt something of a paradigm shift in the processes of explaining
myself. It was something about taking the ambiguity in my work as read, and
allowing more steps and processes to show in how I explain it.
I will start that as suggested, in baby steps using bullet
points as exercise, and hope to integrate that thinking in my general work. I
usually find it quite tedious and boring to read other artists’ talking about
such things – it can be self obsessed.
But I’m sure there are better ways of doing this. I just can’t think of
many right now.
26th April 2012
No comments:
Post a Comment