Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Group crit September 2012 Summer Drawings


September 2012
Eleanor. Amelia.Sarah. Jennifer.

Sarah
Sarah has been making various grids, from reclaimed objects - cooker trays, wires, etc.
Creates a language and cityscape.
thought the work seems tentative - embodying the gap she's talked of before between text and syntax.
Creates a different language with unexpected materials -
not literal but metaphorical work.
Also less sterile and more human work with eggs.

Jennifer
Jennifer showed her exhibition installation The Aviary.
Wooden tripods - I like the visibility of the structure - like skeletons or innards.
Filling the space in the gallery - membranes of paintings.

Amelia
Her mini jungle chair, at once wantable, dinky and wild.
Planning to subvert the sweetness with dregs of people residue.
The only way to find out is to do it.

Eleanor
Reactions to my summer drawings:

The negative space like Klimt trees. drawing no 40.
Indication of shapes and something not there.
Playing with moving away from flat plane - different dimensions.
Grids, and pattern based and yet chaos.
Layers, encoding, hard to decipher.
Talked of the practice, the discipline, without direction,
and how I am finding out my mind by what I produce.
What I hoped for.



Caroline suggested artists working with drawing to look at:

Stephen Farthing - Camberwell
http://www.stephenfarthing.com/


David Musgrave -Living dust exhibition
http://www.norwichgallery.co.uk/gallery/archive/ex2004/pages/living.html

27th September 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thinker of thoughts, mother of adults Shadows Echoes Stories Dyslexia London Scotland Drawing Sewing Research Tutor Mentor Books Trees Clouds Quartz Magnets. I review and write about art and culture.

Followers