_________________________________________________________________________________
Reflection on
outcomes since last tutorial
Looked back over drawing project. I am giving it a little
time to digest before I get stuck in to the moving image. I have felt it
essential to allow some things to fall into place unconsciously before I move
on. One thing that has occurred is that I will probably not use all the
drawings, as some I still fail to like as much – however, I may stick to the
discipline and use all, and extract the best from the ones I think less of.
I’m thinking of having a layer of recognisable imagery
running through – perhaps video. I said people seem to like it more, but what I
think I really mean is that I like it more, and I like people’s response when
they have a way in, or a way to get it, rather than it being completely
abstract. Even if that reality is tenuous, it’s something I’ve figured out in
making work. Currently I’m thinking a line of roofs, or traffic. Maps seem to
be the imagery which has emerged, and the ones I prefer are those which already
have a duality, eg, some may be read as rusted metal, etc.
________________________________________________________________________________
Current projected aims
and outcomes
Discussed the research and context I have been doing while
drawing. Not automatic, not unconscious drawing, but having a link with that.
Knowingly took preferred and conscious diversions and made decisions. Again I
come up with minimalism in a musical term rather than visual art term which
resonates as what I am doing – a theme repeated with small variations. I have
been thinking and reading on this in order to discover and define a clear way
of putting this. Not there yet.
Have to admit I got a bit annoyed with Caroline commenting
on the little film sample I have posted showing what I intend to do with the
drawings – the style of mechanics. I felt a bit defensive in having to over
explain that the very visible seams – especially the visible transitions and
uneven pace. Of course, these are the very things I will be working on when I
actually make the thing, and Caroline was naturally pointing out those things
to look out for. I actually do intend to use a lot of transitions and
techniques in this piece - I am hoping that it will look deceptively simple in
the end.
________________________________________________________________________________
Discussion and
recommendations
Analyse each drawing and see how they relate to each other.
Caroline mentioned Psychogeography. I have since looked that
up, and it does not mean exactly what I thought.
Psychogeography, a subfield of geograhy is the
study of the precise laws and specific effects of the geographical environment,
consciously organized or not, on the emotions and behaviour of individuals. Or
anything that takes pedestrians off their predictable paths and jolts
them into a new awareness of the urban landscape.
I am more interested in Psychegeography, which may be more
the landscape of the imagination.
Also referred to sound. Blog not quite up to date with sound
going on, but I intend sound in this piece. Caroline reminded of the effect of
sound in pacing, etc, and that can be the link in abstract imagery.
Reflection
The drawing project is quite a backwards way of making
moving image for me. Usually I would already know what I wanted to make work
about, and would then seek to define, to deepen and explore that, and to find
its form and imagery. This time I am creating imagery first, have already
decided upon its structure and form, and I guess am really hoping for its true
meaning to emerge to me as I make it. Usually everything links to the result –
that thing which I am defining within the work. What I hope is that the meaning
does not remain too vague and amorphous.
Caroline reminded to be openminded about whether this works
or not. By maintaining writing and reflection in all stages of the process, it
will be a valuable way of working.
No comments:
Post a Comment