Sunday, 16 December 2012

The Meaning of Words

Studio Practice Essay

During the Studio Practice unit I concentrated upon one major project. I wanted to make a piece of moving image, and also to employ lessons gleaned from the MA. I have previously made work more or less knowing which concept or idea I wished to express. This would suggest to me imagery, and a form and discipline would develop in order to achieve the artwork, honing both the making of the work, and the formation of the idea, until I was satisfied that I had concluded and expressed or summarised my view. I decided upon a different approach, one that had more engagement with research and structure from the beginning, and where I would create a process first and discover where it would lead me to, believing that it would lead me somewhere. I started out trusting and intending that the crossover from form and structure into meaning would occur: in other words, that making structured work would produce art.

I decided to draw sixty drawing on subsequent days, and use these drawings to make a sixty minute piece of moving image. I would not to plan the drawings or censure my work during making, as an exploration towards automatic drawing and allowing the unconscious to reveal imagery. The numbers struck me as a neat concept about time, compressing time, and questioning the relative experience of time. I often make work showing a different apparent experience of time. In Art and Time, (Heartney, 2008), Eleanor Heartney discusses the use of video mediums by artists to manipulate time, giving a difference experience than the everyday. This is something I do myself when I have differently paced timeframes playing together in a piece. I also note science’s take on time, which gives more questions rather than answers. In A Brief History of Time, (Hawking, 1995), Steven Hawkins poses alternative realities of time which differ from our linear experience.

Although time was my initial thinking and inspiration, I anticipated and allowed that other meanings would occur or emerge during the making, and so I was not determined that this piece would be “about” time. I predetermine the structure and discipline of working to observe my processes and to link them to on-going research and reflection. This examination of procedures required being uncharacteristically explicit about my working processes, influences, thoughts and realisations as I work. This is an inverse of my normal practice and an observation of my creativity as I deconstruct it. Rather than a one-off exercise, I intend to bring more explicit structure to my practice.

Using drawing and the underlying mechanics of thought involved I redefined areas of my art I had previously described as nebulous, or indescribable. I realise that I can allow intended ambiguity within work whilst, conversely, clarifying areas of enquiry.

I limited the parameters of the project and made an initial decision to limit the resources used, consistently using pencil upon A3 size paper, so that the inventiveness and creativity would remain contained within my overall idea rather than seeping into exploring new ways to draw, or to question the basic understandings of what a drawing might be through different media - it was already positioned to become moving image.

I am interested in multiple approaches to drawing, although not espousing a particular practice as my method. Although my drawing is non- representational and not involved in some traditional pursuits of drawing such as perspective, neither do I make pretence that it is naïve. I may use my left hand, hold the pencil oddly or take off my glasses in order to achieve a feeling of spontaneity, but that is not to ape an unknowing hand. In addition to Automatic drawing developed by Andre Masson in the 1920’s, where Surrealist artists found ways to liberate their work by drawing as if from the unconscious, (Dempsey, 2002). I also referred to research which links drawing to complex and abstract ideas: Drawing to Learn, (Ridley and Rogers, 2010), and Art Students who Cannot Draw, (McManus, 2010), explore the process of drawing in the understanding of concepts. These approaches examine ideas about what drawing might mean other than expression or representation in visual arts, and towards mechanics of the thought process.

I apply insights into thinking and the creative processes to my practice as I go along. It is both a process of learning and uncovering. Andre Masson applied strict rules to his drawing endeavours, (Gompertz, 2012), and while I apply discipline and structure, I feel free to change my rules accordingly.

My practice includes a quest for the meaning of terms to describe work. I ponder various meanings of terms such as abstract, abstracted and minimal. These words are clusters of concepts, whose meaning shifts as we comprehend them further. Words have multiple shades of meaning, absorbed and evolved over time: a definitive absolute of a word or term is not always possible. Added to that is a shade of miscomprehension or a personal understanding of a word.

I initially read and understood the chapter Art and The Quotidian Object, Art and Today, (Heartney, 2008), and the word quotidian as if it was the word and concept of quiddity. While quotidian is the everyday, quiddity is about what an object is, or the essence or whatness of the object. If the quotidian nature of water is rivers and rain, the quiddity of water is that it is wet. I embrace my misunderstandings as extra insights and not mistakes, as they lead me to realisations about my use of the quotidian object in work, and that I am interested in the essence of objects, abstracted or removed from their original use.

Contemporary definitions of words bring with them a trail of previous indicators. I research words in old dictionaries, (Nuttall, 1914), to find versions of definitions. It reminds that even current dictionaries and definitions are moveable, and that words are concepts or thoughts, and the agreed meanings become more nebulous and debateable upon examination. While this is a personal insight, it allows me to consider artwork from new subtleties of meaning, which I then present as art, with titles and writing attached to the art offering additional insights to the viewer.

There are words at the core of my practice which I seek to clarify - minimalism in music – repetition with small variations, as opposed to minimalism in art –– isolating and abstracting elements, especially colour, line, shape in painting. The definition of minimalism and my understanding is not always the same.

I have allowed previous work, influences and knowledge to become more apparent, such as my background in classical music which had lain dormant. I named diverse influences in painting, novels, and culture, being specific about elements I relate to, and linked these to my work in progress.

Producing the sixty drawings has led me to new imagery I would not have predicted. Initial drawings were not dissimilar to previous work:



Fig. 1



Fig.2


I found that the discipline of the daily hour gave me indicators of further imagery to develop, for example, drawings like maps:



Fig.3



Fig. 4


Processing the works, photographing and videoing them for the moving image, suggested layers of interpretation to develop, especially subtle and crumpled drawings which I photographed emphasising their surface:


Fig. 5


I routinely imagine, use work in negative, which emphasises qualities of the above image:



Fig.6


This image particularly speaks to me and suggested the exploration of the moving image, to play on the surface qualities of the drawings as objects, and not merely their graphic imagery. This is the seminal image of the project, as it balances and contains within one autonomous piece the graphic imagery and the surface reality of the drawing, suggesting shadows and atmosphere. It is at once image and object, yet paradoxically, because it is in negative, only exists digitally.

Elements of the way these works were produced, the rationale behind their process, borrow from construction processes in other disciplines, such as concrete poetry or serial music, where mathematical order and syntax informs the work.

Perhaps not apparent within current project, recent processes have made more aspects of practice available to me, as I examine and reappraise resistances to transparency. This has meant a restructuring of my thinking which has not been easy. I have noticed and worked through unfamiliar hesitancy in my art practice through believing that my system would be productive.

I realised that positioning art in a contemporary context places it within linked ideas, rather than fixing and defining it. This has made me freer to draw parallels and be transparent about influences. In a postmodern artworld, where everything is available, (Freeland, 2008), links to other practices, ideas and contexts are moveable:  the approach, methodology, and use of ideas is constant and definable.

In positioning myself in contemporary context I do seek to fix my practice into a definitive area, but often cross and blur boundaries, as my practice is partly a seeking of form. In describing and presenting work, I use terms and talk of influences outside the realm of moving image. Rather than mentioning a science concept or an idea about time or optics, I am becoming open about what that idea is, where I researched it, how it resonates with my practice, and other artists who might be exploring similar ideas.

Current art practice in drawing and moving image is diverse, and there are a variety of links and parallels. Positioning art practice could be related to imagery, concepts or working practices. I especially relate to sole painters and novelists.  I have a similar individual relationship to my art as many of them, as opposed to other video artists who often collaborate, delegate or work within a team to create work, (Phillpott, 2012). I therefore contextualise my work within a continuum of cultural ideas.

I wish to give my viewer an experience of duality or paradox. I use imagery which may be abstracted, but is not completely abstract - there will be an element of recognition.  I often include recognisable elements such shadows, people passing, or windows. This gives the viewer a feeling that they recognise the human experience, while seeing those images in an unfamiliar way. I hope to engender a feeling of uncertainty in what the viewer is looking at, which oscillates with recognition, as work moves between positive and negative, actual and digitised, real and manipulated time. I make work to be read as abstract photography or painting. I hope to, and almost hypnotise into a state of recognising things differently, connecting memories to new ideas, entwining the everyday with the universal, giving a sense of a beautiful insight.

My background of music training influences and dictates structure in the pacing and attention span of moving work. I time slowly moving images, when my attention wanders at about eight seconds. I want to engage viewers, rather than making them endure. I make these choices in timing according to my own perceptions, and not a scientifically measured median or average, in the sway that a painter decides how much orange or how much blank space they brave in painting according to their visual sensibilities, rather that researching how colour and space is perceived by viewers.

I often offer writing with work in exhibition, where in a more poetic way, I indicate meaning. It is my interpretation and summation. I am pondering how to include more specific context in this. I see non-specificity as a value I wish to maintain, and like subtle ways of alluding to research and influences without reducing ideas to a list of facts. I attempt to defy definition and retain ambiguity, whilst positioning my artwork in a context and continuum of ideas.
I look to the meanings of words to find ways of thinking more deeply about art, and to realise more facets that describe paradox and ambiguity.

1976 words


Illustrations

Fig. 1. MacFarlane, E (2012) Drawing 1 [Drawing]. In possession of: The author, London.
Fig. 2 MacFarlane, E (2012) Drawing 2 [Drawing]. In possession of: The author, London.
Fig. 3 MacFarlane, E (2012) Drawing 41 [Drawing]. In possession of: The author, London.
Fig. 4 MacFarlane, E (2012) Drawing 42 [Drawing]. In possession of: The author, London.
Fig. 5 MacFarlane, E (2012) Drawing 57 [Drawing]. In possession of: The author, London.
Fig. 6 MacFarlane, E (2012) Drawing 57a [Drawing]. In possession of: The author, London.

 Bibliography
Anon, 2012. clive_phillpot_interview.mp3 (audio/mpeg Object). [online] Available at: <http://luxdev.org/lux_vx/sites/default/files/media/podcast/clive_phillpot_interview.mp3> [Accessed 30 Nov. 2012].
Anon, 2012. dyslexia link with artists. [online] Available at: <http://www.mdx.ac.uk/aboutus/news-events/news/dyslexia.aspx> [Accessed 12 Nov. 2012].
Anon, 2012. Hildegard von Bingen. [online] Available at: <http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/med/hildegarde.asp> [Accessed 12 Nov. 2012].
Anon, n.d. art student who cannot draw.pdf.
Danchev, A., 2011. 100 artists’ manifestos. London: Penguin.
Dempsey, A., 2002. Styles, schools and movements : an encyclopaedic guide to modern art. London: Thames & Hudson.
Freeland, C., 2003. Art Theory : a very short introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Gompertz, W., 2012. What are you looking at? : 100 years of modern art in a nutshell. London: Viking.
Hawking, S.W., 1995. A brief history of time : from the big bang to black holes. Toronto; New York: Bantam Books.
Heartney, E., 2008. Art & today. London; New York: Phaidon Press.
McManus, I.C. et al., 2010. Art students who cannot draw: Exploring the relations between drawing ability, visual memory, accuracy of copying, and dyslexia. Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts, 4(1), pp.18–30.
Nuttall, P., Austin, 1914. Nuttall’s Standard dictionary of the English la... [online] Available at: <http://archive.org/stream/nuttallsstandard00nuttrich#page/n7/mode/2up> [Accessed 22 Nov. 2012].
Ridley, P. and Rogers, A., 2010. Drawing to learn : arts & humanities. Brighton: University of Brighton.
Weintraub, L., 2003. Making contemporary art : how today’s artists think and work. London: Thames & Hudson.

December 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thinker of thoughts, mother of adults Shadows Echoes Stories Dyslexia London Scotland Drawing Sewing Research Tutor Mentor Books Trees Clouds Quartz Magnets. I review and write about art and culture.

Followers