As I write I have not yet decided the criteria of creating the drawings. After the Studio Practice drawings, where I made 60 drawing over 60 days, each for 60 minutes, I really can't go back and draw without such a structure. I don't want to.
Writing this also make me prioritise deciding on the structure. It's time. At the beginning of the last project there came a point when Caroline reminded me to just do. And I want to just do, to start producing the material, to be in the process. The process starts by deciding on the framework for the drawings - size, number, duration, materials, rules, etc. Perhaps I will try out a few things to find this structure and to find my drawing rules for this.
Something to do with Sibelius, with 24 Hours, with 7 Symphonies. Something I can layer with video as I did in my last piece. Perhaps I will start it all and then find a format - allow some evolving and unknowing to take place in this project which is so much about meeting a final conclusion. And yet my instinct is not to introduce any element of randomness, as I need to retain the layers of structures when I come to put everything together. Every frame, every note, every layer, every drawing, will have its place.
I liked the limitation of the last project, the limited materials which I gradually expanded into colour, the mix of purely abstract with slightly more figurative, the integrity of concentrating on what the drawing of the day wanted to be, the discipline of the timing. I liked it but of course sometimes didn't.
Now it's time to draw.
1st May 2013
...................................................................................................................................................................
Well, here I am near the end of this unit, and I find I have done no drawings. I leave it as this - that I know I have been using my looking, seeing and concentration in the same ways that I do while drawing. Looking at the street compositions and seeking them out is familiar to me like drawing. Perhaps seeing the abstract shapes is similar to looking at the negative space while drawing. I shall have to see about this next year, next unit.
14th August 2013
No comments:
Post a Comment