Friday, 20 September 2013

Reflective Practice 2:1 Assessment

Assessment Reflective Practice 2:1  - mark 61%

A1 produce a coherent body of artwork that can be resolved in the Final Project MA 2.2;
A2 demonstrate in-depth methodological skills and knowledge of contextual practice towards MA level

Overall Comments

Knowledge of contexts, concepts, and methods specifically;
Demonstrate coherent and sophisticated levels of practice informed by discourse, research and an assimilation and a synthesis of ideas (LO1).

Understanding through the application of knowledge, specifically;
Demonstrate an understanding of your practice in terms of both skills, intention and resolution (LO2);
Have thoroughly demonstrated your understanding of the relationship of theory, research and practice to your work (LO3);

You have made excellent contributions to group course work this unit being particularly supportive and insightful to your peers.
In your final piece you are to be commended on transforming your collection of images into a spatial experience for the viewer.
We recognise your aspirations however, we would suggest that you edit image and sound together so that the complex structure of the piece is fully integrated and more balanced.
Your knowledge of the context for moving image work and the broader remit of fine art practice is good.
With the images there is a fluent description of your drive to record the subject and the meanings they hold for you, however the use of separate sound passages which recur is not as sophisticated as the editing of imagery. Be more discerning about the use of sound, edit ruthlessly.

Application of professional skills, specifically;
Work both independently and as part of a team developing strategies towards learning plan for MA 2.2 and demonstrated a sustained high level of professional practice (LO4).

You actively engage with the artworld through exhibitions, fairs, and curating which we recognise.
Well done on the realization of your art fair exhibition and the making of new work specifically for the purpose of selling there with the experience of pricing, presenting work in a commercial context, all of which will be useful in the future.

Assessor Names: Caroline Wright & Angela Rogers


Reflection

What a lot of work that unit was. To reflect just on the assessment, I can't help noticing that my mark went down several percentage points from the last assessment. Now, I'm certainly not displeased with 61%, but I do wonder why.

I was a little bemused by the comments about the sound. That surprised me. I think perhaps I had not made it clear that the going in and out of synchronisation with the images was exactly what I wanted. It's like setting up two separate works to play together, and like two clocks, they merge in and out of synchronicity. I thought it gave the piece more subliminal layers, as if there were things going on offstage that the viewer didn't know about - other constructions, other memories dragging and overlapping. Neatening it all up to fit would not have worked - it had to be slightly unsettling and disorientating - a paradox within the confines of the construction.

I am still somewhat reeling from making this piece. I revealed something deep about myself. I think of it as a psychological vortex.

As to the coming year, it's amazing that half the marks of the MA are in the final project. That feels like a lot of pressure, but it all builds up step by step, day by day, and I can see it happening.

20th September 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thinker of thoughts, mother of adults Shadows Echoes Stories Dyslexia London Scotland Drawing Sewing Research Tutor Mentor Books Trees Clouds Quartz Magnets. I review and write about art and culture.

Followers