Wednesday, 9 October 2013

The Beginning of the End

Introduction to Final Unit 2:2
Caroline Wright
7th October 2013

Naturally we all need to plan and prepare things for the exhibition as far in advance as possible. Looking through the timetable, I trust the process and see that the MA really has all bases covered. Like all big things, it takes many small tasks and actions.

Where the Reflective Practice unit was by nature rather introverted, now it is time to bring in the wider context, both historical and contemporary. One of the issues I am planning this year is about issues of creativity, working alone or collaborating. I want to examine my own creative leanings.

So readings, books and text, reasonably broad, including:
contextual,
historical
contemporary
particular skill / media

The written option and towards PhD - thinking beyond the MA.

Research sketches in any media - ideas.
By the end of the MA and exhibition, fully self directed.

Some sort of interim show, perhaps with the new students.
3 of the 10 new MA group live where there are NO public galleries.
It's hard to really imagine that, as I can go to a different gallery in London every day for years and never get round them all.
Might be a great idea to combine. I may well organise that. something straightforward and with a sign up and schedule along the lines of Absolute Magnitude.
Talking to the new students.

The Final Project is for finer tuned sensitivity and sensibility in our work.

Reflection

I'm glad I decided to go ahead making 24 Hour Sibelius. I've practically finished it and will upload some soon. I find it quite wonderful, and find myself listening to at no earphones when I am at the computer. It's music but not. I'm happy about it, but could take it no further than to make it. I have other matters to develop.

A four year MA is a long time. I have a few fears that although I have been through it all, and applied myself, I'll still end up making work that doesn't really get shown, and that I don't ever build up a momentum of showing work. I mean all those things outside of being proactive and making things happen. Sometimes you also need to be in the right place at the right time. I remember Les Bicknell saying you never know when that right time is, but to be ready. I suppose I have worked on that principle for some years. I can't deny that plenty of things have moved on, and that's great. Just got to show work more.

Mentioned to Caroline I was finding it more difficult to place work - longer, etc. Suggested looking outside my usual context - sound art etc. Well, that's for sure. The follow through of art - showing and setting up, proactively seeking opportunities, etc, could really be a full time job. As I would say to anyone else, just keep going.

9th October 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thinker of thoughts, mother of adults Shadows Echoes Stories Dyslexia London Scotland Drawing Sewing Research Tutor Mentor Books Trees Clouds Quartz Magnets. I review and write about art and culture.

Followers