Angela, Caroline, Jane and I all went to Manchester on the 19th November 2013 for the Prospects awards:
A few months ago in an email newsletter I noticed a link to nominate a teaching team, and I thought it would be worth a little time in writing about our lot. This is what I wrote:
Tutors Angela Rogers and Caroline Wright have devised and
delivered a new postgraduate course in Fine Art to a small cohort of distance
students. Through teething problems, technical challenges, and considerable
logistical anomalies, they have consistently and incisively delivered both
encouragement and critique which has led us through a rigorous postgraduate
course. We have been well equipped to graduate as fully formed career artists.
Distance learning has both advantages and disadvantages, and
the tutors have maximised the benefits, being flexible and responsive, and
endlessly forgiving of the misunderstandings which can so easily occur in email
communication.
As a dyslexic student, I have also found that they have
adapted their understanding of the particular oblique view I have, allowing me
to fulfil the course requirements and achieve my academic potential.
They have been crucial to the success of the course and have
pioneered distance Fine Art postgraduate learning.
It was all very surprising to everyone that the OCA made the final, and we were invited to attend. It was just about the most corporate thing I've been to. The Radisson Edwardian is a lovely hotel, but we spent most of our time squashed into a bar, and then in a soulless event room. Laurie Taylor was mildly entertaining as the speaker, and we had a uninspired but free lunch and few glasses. The OCA didn't win, but it's good to be considered, and I guess makes a difference to be a finalist.
A few interesting chats with others. Gordon Mort wrote some of the OCA's creative writing courses many years ago when it was in a previous incarnation.
The best thing was meeting up and getting a glimpse of Manchester on a beautiful, sharp day.
20th November 2013
No comments:
Post a Comment