2nd December 2013
http://eleanormacfarlane.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/task-2-research-texts.html
I am drawn to being interested in the creative process, the critique, and the reflective questions artists ask of themselves. Why artists make the decisions they do.
Abstraction rules - a process of realisation, the internal rules artists discover as they abstract.
Q-Art books and The Art of Not Making - examining decisions of making related to any art practice at many levels, so aspecific.
Wanting to feel around in the dark avoiding definitions.
Related to the mechanics of the mind, where located, and the creative process by which artists reconcile that. Recent comment at Q-Art crit about the deliberate confusion between vision and sound - definitely this area is what I want, this experience of overlapping senses.
Reflection
Recently at a mentoring training day I did one of those diagnostic tests to discover my learning style - visual, auditory or kinetic. As usual the answers seem marginal, and that I might choose differently on a different day. They probably change at different stages of life. My result was an even three way spilt - equally visual, auditory and kinetic. Quite unusual, but I relate to that, and especially at the moment I feel it is an awareness I want to balance as I explore this overlapping and confusion in art.
2nd December 2013
...................................................................................................................................................................
Seminar discussion with Caroline Wright and MA group
Something happens when you write things down.
Refer books to each other.
Comments from group:
Alexa discussed how rereading with new contexts changes the text - almost like reading wrongly before!
Some things in life and art practice are constant - layers, cyclic - now questioning - the cyclical nature of metamorphosis.
Instability - discomfort - fluid body - the grotesque - violation/transition of boundaries.
Where is the edge of a person?
Redefining literary constructs.
.....
Clare. Not too derivative - Ruskin - nothing new in art.
I thought an interesting conflict in her relationship with the past and contemporary work.
Looking at drawing as a performance.
.....
Amelia.
Seeing colour only when it is named.
Colour is only boundless in the mind. An entity
Renaming colours - previous paintings.
Do you see what I see.
More total experience of colour.
.....
Sarah
Meaning in an art object. Semiotics - why art has meaning.
Messages of silent things - silent multitude.
Think of Kafka The Burrow - contained underneath mania.
.....
Eleanor
Tension/conflict between abstract/narrative.
Layer - for audience and for me
Appears - visual word association.
Control of impulse of applying narrative and the liberation but loss of control of abstraction
I'm interested in the creative process which applies to any practice and any level of the creative process and art education - aspecific.
Why artists make the decisions they do.
Reflecting on process
where does form start and finish
Want to feel around in that dark
Avoiding definitions
Mechanics of the mind - abstract
Defining that vague area
Complex rules of the universe - rules around abstraction
The process of realising - rules are already there
Freeing from strict definitions
Out of the air - but definitely there.
How artists come to realise their set of internal rules.
Reflection
It's very interesting as the group hone in on their practice, what threads they have picked up on and are developing as definitions become deeper. Getting nearer and deeper in research seems to be a process of waves of inarticulacy leading to definition, and then over again. Always the new thoughts don't have words yet.
18th December 2013
No comments:
Post a Comment