Thursday, 30 January 2014

Tutorial Report 31

Date: 27th January 2014  Tutor:  Caroline Wright
_________________________________________________________________________________

Reflection on outcomes since last tutorial 

My updated final exhibition proposal is now much better – crossed referenced bibliography, towards a more seamless osmosis of visual / reading / making. It’s about linking ideas. Caroline suggests making the reading list wider, having the luxury of including other artforms, so novels, music, etc, perhaps the Sibelius Symphonies. Influence and material is wide.
____________________________________________________________________________

Current projected aims and outcomes

Discussed finding the inner coding or structure of each piece of work. Previous project The Future Past Tense especially, with discipline of one hour daily drawing to create piece – looking for something for current project. (MA James using Vine). Caroline said it disciplines the material, especially in potentially infinitely expanding project, collection of material, issues, etc. It gives a structure to work within.

I always think of this as an equation, and solving it is making and resolving the work. This is what I am considering now – the initial decision about numbers, time, contents, quantity – perhaps dictated by the numbers in the school groups, etc. Related to the minutes, seconds. So many children lost, lives lost – link to missing persons now? Something like that. It’s the next thing to consider. Then the project can get deeper.
http://eleanormacfarlane.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/codification.html

________________________________________________________________________________

Discussion and recommendations

Discussed uncovering the ideas about why particular pieces of music are chosen, eg the Sibelius. Sure enough, there is a lot I can write about that, and I see the point – where does it come from, why this piece, what are the connections, links, etc.
http://eleanormacfarlane.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/where-music-comes-from.html

Elizabeth Price piece on at the moment at the Whitechapel Gallery – AT THE HOUSE OF MR X.
http://www.whitechapelgallery.org/exhibitions/artists-film-international-elizabeth-price

Complex choral music – sounds / words – perhaps uneven? Earlier work 2007.
Update exhibition proposal with wider references, music, novels, etc, by 31st Jan – ie soon.

Reflection

I know my MA proposal benefited from the process of writing the PhD proposal. I am getting to the process of uncovering and unpacking where my ideas come from, and then locating them somehow in literature. Summarising the literature, even a little, helps. A few words describing them in my bibliography helps me to link the ideas, and create a web or framework of the project. Also helps to see gaps to fill, to explore further, or to rebalance into what I intend. It also helps to solidify and identify my ideas for myself, so that I can look at them more objectively.

30th January 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thinker of thoughts, mother of adults Shadows Echoes Stories Dyslexia London Scotland Drawing Sewing Research Tutor Mentor Books Trees Clouds Quartz Magnets. I review and write about art and culture.

Followers