Monday, 3 March 2014

Task 3 Mini Portfolio

Mini Portfolio Eleanor MacFarlane February 2014

1. Old School Photos trial. I min 36

(One of 16 antique/vintage Eastern European school and group photos I am using for final project. They won’t move just like this, but will show similar scrutiny.)

https://vimeo.com/87772207


2. Found Paintings trial. I min 44
(I have c.168 Found Painting images I intend to merge together as part of final moving image piece.)

https://vimeo.com/87772206

(These two videos will be layered together – one hour moving image piece with sound.)
(Both videos have samples of 24 Hour Sibelius sound – am planning similar sound with phased layers for final project.)

3. Which alters when it alteration finds
Altered book construction.
(Something I made recently –I am still considering whether to have an element of installation in final project – similar destabilised imagery, distorting viewing box, separate or incorporated inside moving image.)

Which alters when it alteration finds

The book is altered by altering how it can be seen; that it can only be seen through a distorted view.
Les Minorité Nationales en Europe Centrales by Joseph Chmelař, published in Prague in 1937. Written in French, it relates facts about races, nationalities and minority groups, just pre WW2. It analyses changes in numbers and distribution, and is totally dispassionate about any reasons why. It has a folded map in the back cover, colour-coding areas by ethnicity - coloured in those pastel, cheery block-prints of the 1930s. I printed a section of the map onto acetate, adding shadowy images of German bombers - my only intervention or alteration of the book.

The box construction is made from Fresnel lenses. They distort at all aspects, making the book appear to move as the viewer moves. It's simple but complex, and works on vision both as a physical attribute and perceptive concept. The structure has no surprises - it simply shows itself as it is, and yet looks ambiguous. The morphing reflects the subject; that all those demographic shifts utterly depend upon your perspective to give them meaning, and the perspective that you take exposes your thinking.

The title is from Sonnet 116 by William Shakespeare, 1609:                                                                                                           Let me not to the marriage of true minds                                                                                                Admit impediments. Love is not love                                                                                                        Which alters when it alteration finds....

In my practice I explore forms of destabilised imagery as a way of revealing the nature of vision and understanding. I show hidden movements behind solid things, as a reminder that nothing is really static, that even the most solidified thought or belief is subject to change.

                Mixed media – vintage book: Les Minorité Nationales en Europe Centrales                                                            by Joseph Chmelař, Prague, Orbis, 1937; acetate; Fresnel lenses.                                                                                           18 x 12.5 x 21.5cm                                                                      Eleanor MacFarlane 2014







 3rd March 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thinker of thoughts, mother of adults Shadows Echoes Stories Dyslexia London Scotland Drawing Sewing Research Tutor Mentor Books Trees Clouds Quartz Magnets. I review and write about art and culture.

Followers