Date: 16th
June 2014 Tutor: Les Bicknell
_________________________________________________________________________________
Reflection on
outcomes since last tutorial
Had sent Les a few links, up to date with project including
making day trials.
____________________________________________________________________________
Current projected aims
and outcomes
Discussed issues of projection, and its mediating qualities.
How to achieve moving image with the collateral damage of objectness. Since the
piece works like a memory, Les imagined it with the projector and cables, etc, out of sight. Suggested it
happening in space – hanging thick paper or material by fishing wire in the
middle of the gallery, and projecting each layer, so that the audience
intervenes, but layers continue – floating in space, peeling of layers.
Material with stiffened top, not sagging. Using two projectors, so combining
image into one – could play infinite variations, showing layers separately.
Looking at the bookness. The images could theoretically be
shown or rearranged in any order. Les asked about the specificness of
school/memory/change, and that the buildings are inhabited at that time. The
paint is also specific of space and suggests schools, blackboards, coat pegs,
chalk, etc – to his eye. I am not planning to further highlight or place the
images, or to specify a school reference. Les asked about references to
Botanski work. I clearly see the parallels, but the differences lie in
labelling and neutrality – Botanski clearly directs and labels faces to be seen
and interpreted in a certain way – memorial, tragedy, loss, etc, whereas now
that I have my images, I am aiming for a neutrality in how I deal with them,
not directing the interpretation. Because of the material, I am consciously
avoiding a World At War treatment.
The narrative is independent of school – I see the photos as very revealing of
character, even though it is such a small moment of time.
Talked about the pace of transitions. Les imagines something
incredibly slow where you are not sure of the changes – Fischli and Weiss. (That’s
another piece). I think of the moment as fluttering, it comes and goes.
________________________________________________________________________________
Discussion and
recommendations
Discussed what sound I propose – layered, high, alpine
classical music, to start with. Grieg. I seem to know what I am doing!
Reflection
I was trying to scribble down as much as possible because
Les uses phrases that are good to ponder and to steal for work! I could see
that he was testing some concepts against my thinking, and I really value some
of those new avenues. Some of the suggestions – ways of projecting, etc, have
led me to my own and different decisions about how to show the finished work. I
realised that my work is always exploring the relationships between still and
moving images, all through the process of making. I always complete with
producing stills as part of the work, but I have never come up with a good way
of incorporating that, but this tutorial lead me to a brainwave, and so I will
be showing types of stills alongside the projection.
Hi Eleanor
- the sound.... I think we will all be in tears - what a treasure - you are wise to of recorded it
- the face with the drying is the beginning of something - I went straight to Becket but this is not necessarily right
- with the projection - the multiple possibilities are further enhanced by the many reflections off every surface around the projection
thanks for all this
your written reflection on the tutorial was very thoughtful - all is well - I have passed it onto Caroline.
Les
Hi Eleanor
- the sound.... I think we will all be in tears - what a treasure - you are wise to of recorded it
- the face with the drying is the beginning of something - I went straight to Becket but this is not necessarily right
- with the projection - the multiple possibilities are further enhanced by the many reflections off every surface around the projection
thanks for all this
your written reflection on the tutorial was very thoughtful - all is well - I have passed it onto Caroline.
Les
No comments:
Post a Comment