Friday, 17 February 2012

MA Tutorial report 13

Date:     13th Feb 2012                                  Tutor:  Angela Rogers
__________________________________________________________________________________

Reflection on outcomes since last tutorial

I had emailed Angela the draft project plan, but had not realised that is was supposed to be in the format of the handout we had, and as a result mine was a two page rambling towards a conclusion. I redid it in the more structured format, which was the version we talked about. Although this draft was a little more focussed, for me, Angela pointed out that it really wasn’t clear what I was actually going to do. Although my first step is to review previous MA work – the materials and museum, even today, through rewriting the draft, it was as if my mind had made a start, and I had an idea of what to do. I am going to take some of that material, and rivet it on to tin cans, to allow it to mess and rust in that disturbing way old fittings do in costumes. I see so many parallels and connections in that to my practice and the ideas I wish to explore.
________________________________________________________________________________

Current projected aims and outcomes

As suggested by Angela, I will consider not pushing through this project to showing within the time in a museum venue. Perhaps I can just see how far I can go with this without the consideration of audience, etc.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Discussion and recommendations

Discussed the challenge. Although I had already changed that from collaboration to transparency of practice and process, Angela persuaded of a more positive and perhaps constructive challenge – one that is likely to push the project on rather than risk scuppering it. So the challenge is to make a piece of Moving Image within time. These subjects, the stream of museums, fabrics, metals, antiquities, and so on, could lead me on for years, and so I will make a finite piece of work as a challenge. What am I actually doing /what am I looking at / what is it telling me – these questions are my mantras for the duration, to maintain clarity. I am to write another draft project plan in the light of this clarity, and a detailed timetable. Think bullet points and clarity. There is plenty else in this project to be reflective about.

Reflection

I hadn’t realised that I had misunderstood any of this exploratory project so far – the form, the point of the challenge, etc.  It’s only really in educational courses that these kinds of misunderstandings arise, and not in other projects or general life. Perhaps one tends away from things one does not excel in, which cannot be escaped within courses! Also, in most of my other activities, clarity is easier because they refer to themselves, rather than having to fit into other formats.

Post tutorial note: Following discussion, consider a way to include reflections on other moving Image artists without this distracting you from your focus. This lack of context this was noted in your assessment. Angela.

17th February 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thinker of thoughts, mother of adults Shadows Echoes Stories Dyslexia London Scotland Drawing Sewing Research Tutor Mentor Books Trees Clouds Quartz Magnets. I review and write about art and culture.

Followers