Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Tutorial Report 19

Date: 9th July 2012 Tutor: Emma Bulley
______________________________________________________________________________

Reflection on outcomes since last tutorial

Discussed upcoming  Art and Today group tutorial, and how finding an appropriate chapter made me realise how my work doesn’t fit neatly into one, and is not so definable. Realise that I am not seeking to be so definable, that I am looking to retain an element of the unexplainable.

The paradox, the clash or intersection between things and thoughts, is where I want to be, where it doesn’t completely make sense.
________________________________________________________________________________

Current projected aims and outcomes

The current drawing project – the discipline of one hour. Emma asked if I would go over time if it was going well, but I have decided not – the knowledge that within an hour things must be resolved makes the mind and eye make quicker decisions – I’m looking for that area to trust myself and not censor, especially for this first in a new way of making work. I feel I’ve really found a way to apply ways of novel writing to art work, so I will see where it leads me. More importantly, I trust where it leads me.

Emma wondered if my need for structure and process, and an idea, was quite vast and overwhelming, and the answer is that yes it is, but I love it – the solution, or the way in, is always quite simple – drawing an hour a day is quite simple, and I seem to really need to have problems to solve in finding forms. Other things may occur, any media, and concurrent sound library creation may feed in earlier to this animation, but no matter what, I will work with this structure and follow where it leads me. In the way that writing a novel is a strict discipline of time and word count, where a narrative begins to emerge, and themes weave their way in, I hope the drawings will take on a life of their own which I will solve into a piece.

My process may seem hard, with many facets, but for me the difficulty is enjoyable, and in finding a simplicity and overall solution to the tangles I give myself.

Emma commented on the bits of paintings I had posted – these are pre-degree – another archive. I have to keep and refer to older work – I feel I am still thinking them.
________________________________________________________________________________

Discussion and recommendations

Reminder Poetics of Space by Bachelard.
I may be looking for a new term to describe my hybrid practice.

Reflection

Having only recently set pencil to paper for this drawing project, I was pleased that there were things to say about them already, and that all my recent work hadn’t just been theoretic and invisible. There is a linking of the strategy or structure, and allowing spontaneous action for me. There are so many temptations to change the rules of the one hour drawing now that I have started, but by keeping to the format, while allowing all sorts of other freedoms in media and content, I hope that a trust in the flow of drawing and an allowing of “visual first” will emerge. It is a conscious trick to access something more unconscious, or subconscious.

10th July 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thinker of thoughts, mother of adults Shadows Echoes Stories Dyslexia London Scotland Drawing Sewing Research Tutor Mentor Books Trees Clouds Quartz Magnets. I review and write about art and culture.

Followers